Additive + Substractive + Pad + FXs
ZynAddSubFX is a realtime software synthesizer created by Paul Octavian Nasca in 2002. It is a realtime, polyphonic/monophonic, multitimbral, microtonal synthesizer capable of rescaling to up to 128 microtones per octave, as well as key mapping. Although it incorporates the traditional additive and subtractive methods of sound synthesis, as well as a PAD synth capability, it really is in a category all its own, because of how it expands, enriches and compresses harmonic spectrums, thereby obtaining extraordinarily rich sound timbres. It can be run standalone and also as an LV2 plugin.
The "ADDsynth" section (which I oddly prefer to think of as the subtractive synthesis section) functions by adding voices together, each one provided with "traditional" features such as filters and LFOs, but also including morphing and modulation capability. Each voice has a waveform generator capable of reproducing up to 128 wave types. These waves can be reshaped, and Fourier synthesis is also provided.
The "SUBsynth" section (which I prefer to think of as the additive synthesis section) includes 64 harmonics with a variety of configurations, and a filter section included for further sonic control.
The "PADsynth" section produces pad sounds which can be exported.
All three sections above include envelope stages for amp, filter and pitch can be switched to "freemode," where multiple steps and values can be set (reminiscent of the 8-stage Casio CZ series synths of the 80s). Several effects are included in ZynAddSubFX: Reverb, Echo, Chorus/Flange, Phaser, AlienWah, Distortion, EQ and Dynamic Filter. These can be applied to parts and globally. Several types of filters are provided in all three synthesis sections, including formant and state variable filters.
ZynAddSubFX is an advanced Virtual Analog Synthesizer capable of modelling the more amazing sounds you can conceive. Its warm and analogue-like sound will please the most exigent ears.
It's a quite complex and very powerful tool that will satisfy the most experienced users. It also includes a collection of more than 1000 presets organized in banks, so basic users will enjoy from the first moment and advanced users have an excelent base for creating new presets.
- Polyphonic with support for legato and mono playing modes
- Three synthesizer engines:
- Additive Synthesis for classic synth sounds composed of a variety of voices with powerful modulation. This exposes modulators ranging from LFOs and envelopes to oscillator modulators for FM, PM, and AM.
- Subtractive Synthesis for creating variable bandwidth harmonics from filtered white noise
- PAD synthesis for creating beautiful pads and other instruments
- Powerful waveform generator with up to 128 sine/non-sine harmonics
- A variety of filters including analogue modelled filters, formant filters, and state variable filters.
- Envelopes can have ADSR (or ASR, etc..) modes or can be free modes (with any shape)
- Internal Effects: Reverb, Echo, Chorus/Flange, Phasing, Wave-shaping, Equalizing, Dynamic Filtering with flexible signal routing
- Instruments can be organized in kits, which allows you to make drum kits or layered instruments; this makes possible to use more than one instrument for a single part. It is possible to choose what items from the kit should be processed by the Part's effects.
- Randomness settings to create subtle differences in each sound to help create that familiar analogue warmth.
- Microtonal capabilities with any scale, up to 128 notes per octave, and key mapping
- The graphical user interface can be completely disabled if the user need so
- Over 1100 high quality instruments included